Subject: example I/O buffer accuracy report

From: "Gregory R Edlund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:00:21 -0600

My colleagues and I have applied the procedures defined in the "I/O Buffer
Accuracy Handbook" to a real life part:  IDT's ALVCH16831 buffer.  We
compared IBIS, SPICE, and lab measurements.  The results look really good.
Of course, we had to use a coupled package model and lossy transmission
lines to make them look this good!  IDT was very cooperative with us; I was
most impressed by their willingness to work together.  They have an
impressive array of SPICE and IBIS model data on their web site, and I
would encourage you to have a look.  Incidentally, this particular I/O
buffer circuit is widely used in IDT's ALVCH family, so the test results
cover a lot of ground.

Why don't you grab a copy of this PDF file and email it to your favorite
semiconductor vendor?  Ask them if they can provide you this kind of data
for their parts!  I'll bet a few of them are doing this sort of thing
already, just in a different format.  We've made a lot of progress in the
model arena over the past few years, but we still have a lot of catching up
to do.

http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/accuracy/

The file name is report.pdf.  Thanks to the IBIS Open Forum for hosting the
web site.  Thanks to all of you out there who contributed to this work.  It
was very much a cooperative effort.

Cheers.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer
Electrical Packaging
IBM Server Technology Development
3605 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
[email-masked]