Subject: Initial Help

From: Gaurang Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:32:15 -0800

Hello,

I am currently initiating IBIS model development here and I need a couple 
of clarifications.

1) Which version of model should I be developing?? Seems like Version 2.1 
seems to be the most commonly used models. Are most people developing in 
2.1 or customers demand version 3.1 and higher?

2) I plan to use the SPICE2IBIS utility, but it appears that shareware from 
North Carolina State  University generate 2.1 models only. Are there free 
tools available for higher version models or does one have to buy 
commercial tools?? If latter is the case what is the cost of them and who 
are the vendors??

Please help.

--Thanks

--Gaurang

---

From: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:18:54 -0800

Most simulators and development tools support Version 2.1 IBIS models.
Tools and simulators in general support portions of the new version 3.2
features.
Not all version 3.2 features are supported by all tools and the current 
release of the Spice2Ibis only outputs Version 2.1.

I recommend you continue to create version 2.1 models unless you need
the extra features provided by 3.2  If you do then by all means create a
version 3.2
model.  In general most simulators will support the version number being 3.2
even if you are only using the version 2.1 feature set so you could choose
to always make version 3.2 models.  I don't know this for a fact so if you
want
your models to run on the most simulators possible than build v2.1 models
when possible.

my 2 cents worth...
Kellee

---

From: "Weston Beal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:55:53 -0800

Gaurang,

The version of IBIS that you use depends on what features you need in order
to accurately describe your device.  If you don't need the advanced features
in IBIS 3.2 then use 2.1.

Be very careful with whatever tool you use to create IBIS files.  Remember
that these are just tools.  They are not engineers.  It takes an engineer
with a good understanding of IBIS to create good IBIS files with any tool.
The only tool that I know of that is not a derivative of the NCSU s2ibis is
from Applied Simulation Technology http://www.apsimtech.com/.  I saw a beta
version of their tool and it looked very good.

Regards,
Weston Beal

-----Original Message-----
From: Gaurang Shah [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2000 12:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Initial Help

Hello,

Please help.

--Thanks

--Gaurang