Subject: simulation error for 'max' process (but not 'min' or 'typ')

From: "Minnick, Timothy R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:59:52 -0500

Dear IBIS Gurus,

I've recently run into a simulation problem, that I believe to be IBIS model
dependent, and am hoping to verify my assumption.  I am presently using the
B-element in an HSPICE environment (which I have used successfully many
times in the past), and am calling a vendor's model which has options for
'min', 'typ', and 'max' process parameters.  The 'min' and 'typ' versions of
the models run just fine.  However, when I (only) change the process
parameter in the file to 'max', I receive the following error:

[snip]
find_root_2:ERR26     f1<0, f0<0, f2<0, wrong data
 x1 x0 x2 =   -0.500000        0.00000       0.500000    
 f1 f0 f2 =   -0.300000      -0.150000      -0.222045E-15
 find_root_1:ERR26  f1<0, f0<0, f2<0, wrong data
 x1 x0 x2 =   -0.500000        0.00000       0.500000    
 f1 f0 f2 =   -0.300000      -0.150000      -0.222045E-15

  ** error** in fd_bisp_iob:903:
     cannot find root
[snip]

Unfortunately, I am not extremely familiar with the errors that IBIS models
may end up generating through HSPICE, and was wondering if anyone else
recognized or understood the error being generated (I know HSPICE can be
rather vague in its error descriptions as it is).  Since my simulation file
does not change otherwise, I suspect there could be an error in the data
within the IBIS model itself, specifically in the 'max' data.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Tim Minnick
Tyco Electronics
717-986-5284