Subject: Re: IBIS tools

From: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:27:53 -0700

Hi Andy,
At 11:37 AM 10/24/97 EDT, Andrew Ingraham wrote:
>> The few IBIS tools available are completely different and incompatible with
>> SPICE files.   I therefore want  to continue using SPICE, but run into a
>>  problem at times if I can only get  IBIS models.
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  

It seems to me the big problem is the very poor support a few of the spice
vendors have provided for IBIS.  The SPICE vendors could easily provide
an IBIS model as a native model in their tool.  I feel you should work on your
SPICE vendor to provide better IBIS support.  It should be easier for them
to provide support for IBIS directly than to support a single complex transistor
behavior model like SPICE does now.

  To summarize:  The solution I feel you should be pushing for is to get your
simulator vendor to improve their IBIS support.  The majority of the simulator
companies that focus on signal integrity tools have excellent support for IBIS.
Two SPICE companies need to catch up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live long and prosper ...
Kellee Crisafulli at HyperLynx
[email-masked]	http://www.hyperlynx.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Raghu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:20:19 -0700

With all this talk about SPICE and IBIS, I felt compelled to say
something on this issue. We, at Applied Simulation, do use SPICE (in
particular ApsimSPICE) even for IBIS models. We have implemented special
implements in ApsimSPICE and our IBIS Translator translates an IBIS
model into equivalent SPICE models. The user is then free to add
whatever other SPICE elements (e.g a transistor described in BSIM3 v3.
model) he /she wants and do a combined simulation. This should be  the
preferred approach as a pure IBIS simulator may be  restricted in the
topologies it can handle. Also SPICE algorithms are well known and the
results are better understood.

************************************************************************
Raj Raghuram                                                   
Applied Simulation Technology,                   
2188 Bering Drive,                               
San Jose, CA-95131.                              
Tel: (408) 434-0967 ext.101
Fax: (408) 434-1003
e-mail: [email-masked]
************************************************************************