Subject: hspice behavioral model from ibis 2.1

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Plunkett)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:00:04 -0800

My first posting probably wasn't very clear.  I already have an ibis 
     2.1 model of my part.  I would like to convert it to an hspice 
     behavioral model.  I can do this myself, given an example file of 
     somebody else's hspice behavioral model (of ANY i/o buffer) that 
     includes V/T data.  All I want to know is the format, not the data. Is 
     anyone using ibis 2.1 models with hspice, who might be willing to help 
     me out?
     
          I've looked at the Avant! corp. website (current makers of 
     Hspice) but I did not find any useful information related to 
     behavioral modelling.  If there is some other good source for info on 
     using ibis models with hspice, I'd appreciate a hint.
     
     Thanks in advance,
     
     Jeremy Plunkett
     Interface Engineer
     Quantum Corporation
     [email-masked]
     (408) 894 5574

---

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:38:56 -0800

Hello Jeremy:

    At one time Metasoft (now Avant!) did have a product called Meta I/O that
would translate IBIS 1.1 and (a subset of) 2.1 models to HSPICE behavioral 
models,
but they discontinuted support a while ago :( .  I don't know of any other
comercially available IBIS to SPICE products.  My suggestion would be to 
contact
Avant! directly (and any other SPICE vendors you care to) and make your needs 
known.

     As an aside, this subject (IBIS to SPICE converter) has been discussed a 
number of times on the IBIS reflector.  There is, I think, a demonstrated need
for such a tool.  It's too bad the SPICE vendors have (so far) not been 
willing
to step up to the task -- I think they are missing a real opportunity to help 
the
SI community do it's job, as well as promote there own products.  Oh well...if 
we keep posting they perhaps they will see the light.  'nuff said.

As usual, the opinions the expresed here are my own and do not necessarily 
reflect those of my employer.

                  Best Regards,
                  Stephen Peters
                  Intel Corp.

---

From: Fred Balistreri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:15:16 -0800

> >      using ibis models with hspice, I'd appreciate a hint.
Hello there Steven, I think you should know that there are Spice vendors
that support IBIS. We, Applied Simulation Technology have supported
IBIS from its inseption in 1989 or so. We are an SI SPICE vendor. We
have an IBIS translator that converts IBIS formated parsed data into
SPICE behavioral models. So once its in IBIS the model is a push button
away. I am also aware that other Spice vendors support IBIS as well.
So I think your a bit off base. Since your a member of the IBIS 
commitee and we attend the same meetings I'm a bit surprised of your
apparent lack of knowledge along those lines. Anyway your statement
about Spice vendors not supporting IBIS is quite incorrect. You can
check out our stuff on the web. I suggest that may want to do that just
for your information. 

-- 
Fred Balistreri
[email-masked]

http://www.apsimtech.com

---

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:44:23 -0800

Hello Fred:

  I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my critisism of SPICE vendors.  I was 
refering specifically to support for IBIS version 2.1 -- specifically the
V/T curves.  I know that Avant! (then Metasoft) and Microsim did do IBIS to
SPICE translators for IBIS v1.1, but either did not go onto 2.1 or dropped
support for V/T curves.  I was not aware of any other vendors that supported
IBIS 2.1.  If Applied Simualtion does then my appologies, and I stand (most 
happely) corrected.

              Regards,
              Stephen Peters
              Intel Corp.

---

From: "Dr. Edward P. Sayre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:12:46 -0500

Stephen:

This is exactly one of the topics the IBIS User's Group will be addressing
in one of the two sub-committees that was formed.  We feel that there is a
very important need here.  Paul Galloway of Cadence will be heading that
sub-committee group.

ed sayre

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
|       NORTH EAST SYSTEMS ASSOCIATES, INC.       |
|      -------------------------------------      |
|     "High Performance Engineering & Design"     |
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| Dr. Ed Sayre            e-mail: [email-masked] |
| NESA, Inc.              http://www.nesa.com/    |
| 636 Great Road          Tel +1.508.897-8787     |
| Stow, MA 01775 USA      Fax +1.508.897-5359     |
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+