Subject: PCB East IBIS Summit - comments on Accuracy

From: Gregory R Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:26:11 -0500

On behalf of the IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee and the IBIS User's Group, I want
to thank everyone who attended the PCB East IBIS Summit.  Thanks also to the
folks at NESA for making the arrangements and to Applied Simulation Technology,
Cadence, Compaq, EMC, Focus Technology, Hyperlynx, NESA, and Viewlogic for
sponsoring the event.

The IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee especially appreciated the feedback we got from
attendees.  Yes, there are differences of opinion about what accuracy means and
about implementation during modeling and simulation.  However, I firmly believe
that the collective wisdom represented by the IBIS Committee is a tool that we
can use to craft a solid, useful document for communicating accuracy data to
the user.  Perhaps we need to make the idea of "communicating accuracy data"
more clear in the future.  Just like an IBIS data sheet is not a model but a
format for communicating model data, the IBIS Accuracy Specification is not a
certification of model accuracy.  Rather, it is a means for communicating model
correlation data to the end user.

To make sure we carefully consider the input you give us, the IBIS Accuracy
Subcommittee will be keeping a running record of feedback we have received from
various parties and what action we have taken on this feedback.  We will
periodically post this list to the reflector, perhaps as part of our minutes.
Once again, if you have an opinion about something in the rough draft, please
voice it to anyone on the subcommittee or the reflector.  If you wish to remain
anonymous, we will respect your wishes.

The IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee has a lot of work to do before DesignCon99.  We
have a paper and demo to prepare, we are making the test board ready for public
consumption, and the IBIS Accuracy Specification will go through another
revision cycle.  We hope to meet many of you again at the DesignCon99 Summit
with a more refined specification.

p.s.  We will be posting the IBIS Accuracy Specification to the web in the near
future.  When this happens, we will post a pointer on the IBIS reflector.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, AS/400 System Timing
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
[email-masked]