Subject: IPA software status - update

From: Syed Huq <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:23:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Here is an update on the status of IPA-510 software for web distribution:

IPA Binary:
-----------
The binary version will be made available by Jan'99 timeframe. Resource has
been allocated to work on a dongle-free version.

Discussion in progress to provide documentation along with binary.

IPA Source:
-----------
Initiated discussion with the GNU Project to see if they would be willing
to be 'maintainer'. GNU Project had various questions about IBIS, Modeling,
IPA etc etc. They outlined a set of conditions that the IPA needs to meet
to be GNU complaint. This will allow all GNU software to interact easily.

Tek is not sure about working with GNU. They feel that the software has more
value for IBIS community than GNU. Basically, GNU's involement is only to
be the source maintainer and not source code development.

Discussion with GNU/Tek/IBIS in progress regarding this.

FSF(Free Software Foundation) is also interested to provide support for 
a FEE to the IPA users community. This is still under discussion.

Next Step:
---------
I would like to make a call to any EDA company who would like to volunteer
some software expertise to be the 'maintainer'. No product development is
required from you. Only need to incorporate all the developments that may
be made by various companies and release 'ONE' consolidated version.

Any other ideas of source code distribution is welcome.

THis IPA discussion will again be on the next IBIS teleconferece(Jan15th).

Regards,
Syed.
Cisco Systems, Inc.

---

From: "A. D. Shirpadaraj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:03:27 +0531

Hi Syed,

What is IPA-510 software? Could you please elaborate on this and
send some pointer to find  more info on the said software?

Thanks

Shripad

---

From: Syed Huq <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:15:03 -0800 (PST)

Shripad,

IPA(Interconnect Parametric Analyzer)is a software from Tektronix. 
This software is used along with a TDR to analyze and model(SPICE) 
interconnects. The software captures the reflection profile of the 
interconnect under test when  the TDR pulse(35ps edge)hits it. 
The IPA software then creates an impedance profile of the captured 
waveform and uses this to generate various types of SPICE models
(distributed, RLC, Lossy)etc etc.

I have used this software to extract C_comp parameter as well as V/T
table data for measurement based IBIS modeling. This is also great to
extract package parasitcs.

Since this product will be discontinued, Tektronix wants to give this 
software to the IBIS community for FREE(Both Binary and Source). So that's 
what the E-mail update is all about.

The reason they are giving this up is because they no longer want to
support the software. The idea is for anyone can take the source code, modify 
it for enhancement purpose and give back both the new binary and source back 
to the IBIS community. The tool gets enhanced and IBIS users benefit from
it. 

There are various good Application Notes on the www.tek.com site. Do
a search on 'IPA' and you will get all of them.

More updates to follow after the holidays...

Regards,
Syed.
Cisco Systems,Inc

---

From: Ted Creedon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:40:30 -0800

Why IBIS doesn't jump on this opportunity is beyond me.  Interconnect is more of a problem than IC models.

I've offered to deliver IPA CD's but Tek has not responded.  Perhaps IBIS will.

Just send a completed license agreement and a check for $250 for shipping and handling.

Same as getting Xspice from Georgia Tech.

Ted Creedon, P.E.
Mentor Graphics ICX Models Group

PS I have an 11800 and SD-24. 

-----Original Message-----
From:	Syed Huq [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Monday, December 21, 1998 9:15 AM
To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: IPA software status - update

Shripad,

Regards,
Syed.
Cisco Systems,Inc

---

From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:20:00 -0800

I believe we (members of the IBIS Open Forum) all jumped on it, but got 
suspended in mid-air buy the legal and new feature addition process 
implications/requirements, etc.  What I wonder about is whether we are going
to 
continue flying our jump or fall on our face...

It seems, though, that Syed is doing an excellent job in trying to find the 
appropriate gatekeepers for this software.

Arpad
============================================================================
====

Why IBIS doesn't jump on this opportunity is beyond me.  Interconnect is
more of
a problem than IC models.

I've offered to deliver IPA CD's but Tek has not responded.  Perhaps IBIS
will.

Just send a completed license agreement and a check for $250 for shipping
and
handling.

Ted Creedon, P.E.

-----Original Message-----
From:     Syed Huq [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:     Monday, December 21, 1998 9:15 AM
To:     [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc:     [email-masked]
Subject:     Re: IPA software status - update

Shripad,

The reason they are giving this up is because they no longer want to
support the software. The idea is for anyone can take the source code,
modify
it for enhancement purpose and give back both the new binary and source back
to the IBIS community. The tool gets enhanced and IBIS users benefit from
it.

Regards,
Syed.
Cisco Systems,Inc

---

From: Syed Huq <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:12:06 -0800 (PST)

Distribution of the IPA is not an issue. We can do that from our website
with no problem. The issue is to find a maintainer(volunteer!)..That is
being worked on.

Syed.
Cisco Systems, Inc.

> From [email-masked] Mon Dec 21 12:04:08 1998
> X-SMAP-Received-From: outside
> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:04:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Al Davis <[email-masked]>
> X-Sender: al@oliver
> To: Syed Huq <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: IPA software status - update
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> 
> 
> The GNU people have lots to do and don't need the extra burden of
> something like this that they don't understand.  You can maintain
> ownership and distribute under the GNU public license without any
> connection to the Free Software Foundation.  You don't need their
> permission to do this.  Most software distributed under GPL is owned by
> its creater, not FSF.
> 
> So ..  attach GPL.  post to IBIS site.
> 
>