Subject: IBIS User Forum Meeting Minutes - 2/12/98

From: Kathy Breda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:00:17 -0500

***Minutes of the IBIS Users Group meeting
   held at EMC on Thursday, February 12, 1998***

Thank you to Fabrizio Zanella, Fawn Engelmann and EMC for
hosting this month's meeting and providing refreshments.  
I want to thank the members of the user forum in 
general for being so helpful in coordinating meeting space.

This was a relatively quiet meeting.  The purpose was to mainly
catch up on the happenings from the IBIS Summit and DesignCon98.
Overall, the group found the IBIS summit interesting and useful.

The European IBIS summit meeting is being held on Thursday,
February 26, 1998 in Paris, France.  Paul Galloway of Cadence
Design, IBIS User Forum and Software Aspects of IBIS... 
committee chairman, is attending the Paris meeting.  

Subcommittee on Accuracy:
------------------------

Notes from Greg Edlund's presentation

Regarding the IBIS Summit

*There is strong interest in the topic of model accuracy 
 although there will be some disagreement about implementation.

*We were encouraged by veterans of the IBIS committee to pursue the 
 accuracy specification.  IBIS was intended to be open-minded and
 user-driven.

*Two IC vendors whish to be involved in the sub-committee on 
 accuracy:  TI and Fairchild!

*Hyperlynx announced an exciting new product: IBIS Developer's Tool
 Kit for $ 3,000.

*Users bring a valuable, and previously under-represented, contribution
 to the committee.

*We have to face the simulation engine question someday soon -
 anonymously? 

*Do we need a full-scale accuracy test bed, i.e. models and simulation
 engines vs. test hardware?

*How can we broaden the scope of the User's Group?  There is a need for
 user education.  Can we contribute to this need on a larger scale?

A concept board is in the works for running IBIS models, etc.  There
is hope that the details of the board and its follow-on will be placed
on the web site (see below re: web site).  

The next accuracy subcommittee meeting is being held, Thursday,
February 26, 1998 at 3:00 at Digital, Maynard, MA.  Contact Greg Edlund 
([email-masked]) if you would like more information. 

Other Business:
---------------

*Next User Forum Meeting:
  
		    Date:  Thursday, March 19, 1998
		    Time:  3:00 PM
		Location:  Digital Equipment Corp., Hudson, MA
		           Customer Conf. Center, D309, HLO2/third floor.

		DIRECTIONS WILL BE SENT OUT SHORTLY WITH THE MEETING REMINDER!

*User Web Site:  We would like to develop an IBIS Users  web site.  
 Presentations, minutes,technical details regarding test boards and other 
 pertinent technical information will be placed on the web site.  
 This is just getting off the ground so stay tuned.  
 Kathy Breda of NESA and Paul Galloway are going to be driving the
development.

 Kathy spoke with Bob Ross while at DesignCon98 and received support for
 the activity.  The User site will hyperlink to the formal IBIS site.

*Distribution List:  Kathy will be making available an e-mail distribution
list
 of IBIS user group attendees to the group.  This is on the to-do list and
 should be done by the next IBIS user group meeting in March.

*There has been a request that "crash" courses on IBIS be made available.
 More discussion needed here.  Ed Sayre offered to assist with a curriculum.

Information of Interest:
-----------------------

I thought the following IBIS contact information may be very useful to people.
Hope it helps.

 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 SECRETARY:  Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
	     M/S JF1-56
	     2111 NE 25th Ave. 
	     Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Scientist, Viewlogic (formerly Quad Design)
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010

 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

       To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
       which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
       /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
       respectively.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
  
<end>