Subject: spice 2 ibis

From: [email-masked] (Weston Beal)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 16:46 CDT

IBIS users,

Does anybody believe that s2ibis2 produces correct IBIS files?  If so,
please tell me why.  I don't today that the output is correct, but I'm
going to read up on stuff stuff this weekend.  I know that IBIS
accuracy is a concern, but in anyone developing really good translation
tools?

Regards,
Weston Beal
Compaq Computer Corp.

---

From: Scott McMorrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:53:54 -0700

Weston,

s2ibis2 produces files as good as the input spice models
that are used in the translation process.  However, having
said that, there are many cases where the spice files being
supplied by vendors are pretty yucky.

All spice to ibis does is to set up some standard test circuits
for simulating driver output current, receiver input clamp
current and output ramp waveforms.  All of these are captured
by s2ibis2 and used to create an ibis model which matches
the spice outputs.  The ibis file is a reproduction of the spice
output at the same loading conditions.

After producing an ibis file from the spice deck, it is then
usually necessary to pass the file through the ibischk2+ to
look for anomolies.  These anomolies can usually be removed
by hand.

The process does work, although it is not for the faint hearted,
since, in the end, we are dealing with silicon manufacturer's
spice models, which may or may not be anywhere near reality.
And may, or may not, be anywhere close to complete.
The data extracted is as good as the source it came from.

Always question your sources.

Regards,

Scott

--
___________________________
Scott McMorrow
Principal Engineer
SiQual

mailto:[email-masked]
___________________________