Subject: IBIS User Group Minutes - 4/23/98 meeting

From: Kathy Breda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:08:48 -0400

***Minutes of the IBIS Users Group Meeting
   held at TRILOGIC on Thursday, April 23, 1998***

Thank you to Joe Socha for hosting the meeting at
TRILOGIC and providing refreshments.  

Next Meeting is Scheduled for Thursday, May 21, 1998
at 3:00PM.  The meeting will be hosted by Bruce Heilbrunn
of Stratus in Marlboro, MA.  We've met at Stratus
once before.  Directions to follow shortly.

Greg Edlund and Paul Galloway presented updates from their
respective sub-committees.  Greg discussed the IBIS accuracy
specification in terms of limiting its scope, test loads for 
the specification, the developer's tool kit and the test board.
Paul's focus was primarily on providing IBIS training.  Paul
also announced that he is changing positions within Cadence
and will no longer be heading up this Sub-Committee on IBIS
Software Aspects.  We're looking for a volunteer to step into
Paul's spot. Anyone??

Attached to this message are the presentations made by
Greg and Paul.  If you can't read the presentations, and
would like to send me your address or fax number
I will get the presentations to you.

Sub-Committee on Accuracy:
-------------------------

*  IBIS Accuracy Specification Scope -Proposed coverage of 
I/O buffer families is equivalent to IBIS 1.1.  
Limiting the scope allows the sub-committee to complete their task.

*  There is the hopeful belief that most simulation engines
output will match for IBIS 1.1 data sheet information.

*  The IBIS accuracy specification test loads include:
	For both Push-Pull and Open Drain -
	Standard load, T-Line Termm to VDD, T-Line Term GND,
	Open T-Line and DRV to RCV  
 
*  Request from Bruce Helbrunn to EDA vendors that free simulation
engine be made available to IC vendors  has received
a positive response from Quad Design, Interconnectix/Mentor and Cadence

*  User Group discussions/comments - Could IC vendors create models 
that match the EDA vendors model development tools?  There 
should be a common core that is an IBIS (1.1?) standard compliant model.  
Since IC and EDA vendors will probably be ahead of the IBIS standard, 
then comment section is needed to discuss enhancements.  Within
a level of accuracy, the EDA vendors IBIS models should all produce
the same answer.

*  Test board update - at least six weeks away from power-up of rev 2
test board.  Schematic rework is taking place right now.

*  Suggestion made that a round-robin type of testing activity take
place once the board is done.  Another suggestion is that a family
of test boards be designed to address different design environments.

* The next Accuracy sub-committee meeting is scheduled for 
Thursday, April 10th.  

Sub-Committee on Software Aspects of IBIS
-----------------------------------------

*  We're going to start having a IBIS topic presented at each meeting
for education purposes.

*  Cadence has just made available new IBIS software utilities
(http://www.cadence.com/software/pcb_info.htm)

*  Web page is moving along - Andrew has a first pass design in
place and a lot of information has been added into it.  A ways
to go, but it is going...

*  We would like to coordinate IBIS training with PCB-East in October,
and then perhaps repeat it at DesignCon99 in January.  Paul presented
a possible curriculum which is in one of the attached files(
U:\ibis_ug_.ppt;).

*  The idea is that the training will be available for use - no charge.

*  There is discussion that there should be a one day course, two day
course (with labs) and perhaps a shorter introductory course - like
a lunch time seminar to get the word around.

*  Regarding connector models - Fabrizio Zanella is heading up the effort
to resurrect BIRD 31.3 "Multiline Models".  The BIRD is being modified, but
it will not make IBIS 3.1 release. 

*  So far the following Connector/tools vendors have signed up for this effort
including:  Eric Bogatin of Ansoft, Gus Panella of Molex, 
Kellee Crisafulli of Hyperlynx, John Ellis of Berg 

Proposed Agenda for meeting on Thursday, May 21, 1998
-----------------------------------------------------

*  IBIS education topic - Review/Overview of IBIS versions
*  Update on Connector Modeling BIRD
*  Accuracy Specification and Test Board Update
*  More on IBIS education curriculum

Other Business
---------------

A lot of people seemed to miss the last meeting announcement and
directions because I sent it only to the [email-masked] distribution.  
I'm now sending it to a wider distribution to make sure I reach those
interested.
Let me know if you want you name pulled off of my distribution list.  I do
not have control of the [email-masked] list.

<end>