Subject: IBIS Users Group Minutes 2/26/99

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:40:16 -0600

IBIS Users Group Minutes 2/26/99

Participants on 2/26/99

Compaq              Bob Haller
Hyperlynx           Matt Flora
IBM                 Mike Cohen, Greg Edlund
LSI Logic           Scott King
Mentor Graphics          Bob Ross
National Semiconductor   Milt Schwartz
NESA                Ed Sayre
TDA Systems              Dima Smolyansky

Thanks to Bob Ross and Mentor Graphics for funding the phone bridge.

Next conference call:

Date:                    3/19/99
Time:                    8:00 - 9:55 am PST
Phone number:       (805) 240-9673
Passcode:           773000

PART I:  IBIS ACCURACY SUBCOMMITTEE

Matt Flora, Ed Sayre, and Bob Ross expressed opinions in favor of keeping
the name "IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee."  The group agreed to keep this name
for 1999.  The group also agreed that Greg Edlund will continue in his
position of chairman of the IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee for 1999 (in the
absence of any other interested parties).  Greg Edlund will also continue
as editor of the IBIS Accuracy Specification document itself.  The group
decided to leave the meeting time stand at 8:00 PST.

IBIS ACCURACY SPECIFICATION 1.2 REVISIONS

There are two main improvements in version 1.2 of the IBIS Accuracy
Specification:  1) updating the correlation section to reflect the new
correlation strategy presented at the DesignCon99 IBIS Summit and 2)
updating the measurement section to facilitate future expansions.  Greg
Edlund will begin work on these changes and distribute a new copy of the
spec for review.

ACCURACY-RELATED BIRD(S)

Bob Ross suggested that we post a note to the reflector soliciting response
from the IBIS community on whether or not a BIRD should attempt to define
our new test loads in a machine-readable format.  Action item taken.

EIA APPROVAL

Bob Haller will lead the effort to obtain EIA approval for the IBIS
Accuracy Specification in 1999.  Bob Ross has alerted Patty Rusher to
expect the IBIS Accuracy Specification to be submitted to the EIA in 1999.

There was discussion around which version of the IBIS Accuracy
Specification to submit to the EIA.  Bob Ross suggested that we configure
the spec so as not to be dependent on a new BIRD and proceed.  Greg Edlund
argued that we should proceed with version 1.2, including the changes
mentioned above.  The group did not reach a decision on this point.

IBIS ACCURACY SPECIFICATION 2.0 DEVELOPMENT

Bob Ross commented that most EDA vendors presently consider IBIS 1.1
datasheets as inaccurate and recommended that we don't focus on which
version of IBIS to cover.

Mike Cohen highlighted two areas in which his group is seeing the need for
accuracy development:  VT tables and multi-staged drivers.  The IBIS
Accuracy Subcommittee needs to come up with a list of possible additions to
the IBIS Accuracy Specification and then prioritize the list.

TEST BOARD

Bob Haller commented that a few simple changes to the test board would
bring significant enhancements.  Bob Haller and Greg Edlund agreed to
exchange ideas for test board changes off-line.

Milt Schwartz mentioned that National Semiconductor has a board shop that
may be able to help with the test board.  He agreed to pursue a quote.
There was some discussion about making as many as 50 test boards to
distribute to interested parties.

Greg Edlund has agreed to write an application note for the test board
(someday).

Bob Haller said that the current version of the test board could be used as
a spring-board to include other part types.

ACCURACY ACTION ITEMS

1.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Edit measurement
and correlation sections of the IBIS Accuracy Specification and distribute
the new document.

2.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Write email to the
reflector soliciting input on the contents of an accuracy-related BIRD.  At
issue is whether or not to include a machine-readable description of the
test loads described in the IBIS Accuracy Specification.

3.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Peter LaFlamme.  Make VCX16244
SPICE model and IBIS datasheet available on the accuracy web page.

4.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Bob Haller, Greg Edlund.
Discuss test board changes off-line.

5.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Milt Schwarz.  Get quote for
building revision 3 of the test board.

6.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Write test board
application note.

7.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Send out a note to
the reflector suggesting possible candidates for accuracy development in
1999.

PART II:  EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE

Ed Sayre has contacted a university professor who has expressed an interest
in developing an IBIS curriculum.  Ed estimates the project will take 6-9
months to produce a first cut.  He may solicit small grants cover costs.
Bob Ross cautioned that any educational effort should have IBIS 2.1 as a
baseline.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
[email-masked]