Subject: IBIS Users Group Minutes 4/30/99

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:16:26 -0500

IBIS Users Group Minutes 4/30/99

Participants on 4/30/99

Greg Edlund, IBM
Bob Haller, Compaq
Bob Ross, Mentor Grpahics

Next conference call:  as needed.

CHECK-IN

There were no announcements, corrections to previous meeting's minutes, or
additions to the agenda.

GENERAL BUSINESS

Bob Ross:  This conference call seems to be falling below critical mass.
We should do away with regular conference calls and set them up on an
as-needed basis in the future.  General Users Group conference calls will
be held in association with the East Coast face-to-face IBIS Users Group
meetings.

Bob Haller:  The East Coast face-to-face IBIS Users Group meetings
resurrected.  Conference calling will be available at these meetings for
those who wish to use it.  NESA will be hosting the next face-to-face IBIS
Users Group meeting on May 13.

We did not cover the s2ibis for IBIS 3.2 topic since there were only three
people present.  Bob Haller will bring this topic up at the next IBIS Users
Group meeting on the East Coast.

PART I:  IBIS ACCURACY SUBCOMMITTEE

IBIS ACCURACY SPECIFICATION 1.2 REVISIONS

Bob Haller:  The new table 2 should include descriptions of measurements
and drivers.  Open drain drivers should require a pull-up curve measurement
but no tri-state curve.

Bob Haller:  Section 3.2.2 should include an example scope bandwidth
calculation.

Bob Haller:  Section 3.4.1 should clarify that EITHER a 50 Ohm resistor OR
a terminated 50 Ohm transmission line is acceptable.

Bob Ross:  Physical measurement is the "center of gravity" of the spec, but
the methods described in the Accuracy Spec are also applicable to SPICE vs.
hardware and SPICE vs. behavioral correlation.

Bob Ross:  Fast and slow samples are usually available during development
phase, if at all.

Bob Ross:  Where does the trailer go?  It could be associated with the
model keyword or added to the end of the IBIS file.

Greg Edlund:  We could change the name from "trailer" to something else to
allow the model engineer to locate this information wherever it makes
sense.

All:  How does one specify which I/O buffers need to be correlated?  Right
now, this is left up to the discretion of the modeling engineer, but we
should at least add this to the spec.

APPROVAL PROCESS

Bob Ross:  Industry acceptance is more important right now than EIA
approval.  Let's bring the document to the IBIS Open Forum on May 28 and
open discussion.

ACCURACY-RELATED BIRD(S)

There was no discussion related to an accuracy-related BIRD.

TEST BOARD

There was no discussion related to the test board.

IBIS ACCURACY SPECIFICATION DEVELOPMENT

There was no discussion related to future development of the IBIS Accuracy
Specification.

ACCURACY ACTION ITEMS:  4 open, 4 closed

1.  Status: CLOSED.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Edit measurement
and correlation sections of the IBIS Accuracy Specification and distribute
the new document.

2.  Status: CLOSED.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Write email to
the reflector soliciting input on the contents of an accuracy-related BIRD.
At issue is whether or not to include a machine-readable description of the
test loads described in the IBIS Accuracy Specification.

3.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Peter LaFlamme.  Make VCX16244
SPICE model, IBIS datasheet, and trailer available on the accuracy web
page.

4.  Status: CLOSED.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Bob Haller, Greg Edlund.
Discuss test board changes off-line.

5.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Milt Schwarz.  Get quote for
building revision 3 of the test board.

6.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Write test board
application note.

7.  Status: open.  Opened: 2/26/99  Owner: Greg Edlund.  Send out a note to
the reflector suggesting possible candidates for accuracy development in
1999.

8.  Status: CLOSED:  Opened 3/19/99  Owner:  Bob Haller.  Call Ed Sayre to
set up next face-to-face Users Group meeting.

PART II:  EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE

There was no one present to discuss education.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
[email-masked]