Up: Advanced Topics
Debian makes a great platform for software development and programming. Among
the languages and near-languages it supports are: C, C++, Objective-C, Perl,
Python, m4, Ada, Pascal, Java, awk, Tcl/Tk, SQL, assembler, Bourne shell, csh,
and more. Writing programs is beyond the scope of this book, but here are some
of the more popular development programs in Debian:
- The GNU C Compiler, a modern optimizing C compiler.
- The C++ compiler from the gcc line.
- The C preprocessor from gcc.
- The Perl interpreter. Perl is a great ``glue'' language.
- GNU Debugger, used to debug programs in many different languages.
- Used for profiling, this program helps you to find ways to improve the
performance of your programs.
- GNU Emacs is a programmers' editor and IDE.
- The GNU Assembler.
John Goerzen / Ossama Othman